Carriers are using mobile broadband as their weapon of choice in the fight against the commoditization of voice and falling ARPU. It is therefore imperative that carriers have networks which can consistently and reliably deliver good data performance to their customers.
This study is based on the data speed and latency measurements collected for 72 wireless carriers operating within 25 countries in Africa and the Middle East using a smartphone app. This approach has facilitated the collection of millions of individual test readings from tens of thousands of users who have conducted tests for virtually every mobile carrier in virtually every country in the world. Using these readings, ARCchart has been able to estimate averages for download speed, upload speed, latency and overall network quality, along with a measure of smartphone penetration.
This report shows there is enormous variation in the network performance between carriers and there is a genuine risk that carriers which develop a reputation for inferior performance will suffer high churn and an overall loss of subscribers.
Topics of coverage include:
- Research methodology
- The importance of mobile broadband to carriers
- Analysis and comparison of the performance of country data networks
- Analysis and comparison of the performance of carriers' data networks
- Carrier network technology profiles
- Carrier performance league table
- Measuring mobile broadband coverage
- The problem of unreliable networks
- iPhone, Android and iPad carrier market share
- Country smartphone and tablet penetration
- Smartphone take-up throughout main towns and cities
- Android OEM market share
Companies and organisations mentioned, discussed or reviewed include:
ATM Mobilis Algeria
Asia Cell Iraq
Orange (Partner) Israel
Umniah Mobile Jordan
Econet Wireless Kenya
MTC Touch Lebanon
Medi Telecom Morocco
Glo Mobile Nigeria
Oman Mobile Oman
Etihad-Etisalat Saudi Arabia
STC Saudi Arabia
Zain Saudi Arabia
Cell C South Africa
MTN South Africa
Telkom SA South Africa
Vodacom South Africa
Uganda Telecom Uganda
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following
- What is the average download, upload and latency supported by each carriers' network?
- To what extent has HSPA and HSPA+ been deployed by carriers?
- Which carriers are big supporters of Android devices?
- Why should carriers be concerned about their network’s data performance?
- What is the average data speed achieved in each country?
- How does broadband performance in the Middle East compare with Continental Africa?
- Which country has the best performing networks?
- How does HSPA+ impact data throughput?
- Which carriers exhibit the region's best performing broadband network?
- Where is iPad penetration highest?
- Which carriers are still reliant on GPRS and EDGE infrastructure?
- What are the top 5 town/cities with the highest smartphone activity?