Augmented reality has the potential to change how people interact and experience their surrounding environment, and by combining the technology with the mobility and computing power of sophisticated smartphones, augmented reality will impact almost every industry, particularly retail, entertainment, travel and advertising. ARCchart forecasts that revenues generated from mobile phone augmented reality applications will reach $2.2 billion by 2015.
Topics of coverage include:
- Computer vision – image recognition, tracking and content anchoring
- Basic and Advanced augmented reality experiences
- AR applications
- Revenue strategies
- Market barriers and growth drivers
- The augmented reality ecosystem
- Company profiles
- Brands and advertising
- Maps, street view and real-world image databases
Companies mentioned, discussed or reviewed include:
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following essential questions:
- What is augmented reality?
- What technology challenges must be addressed before full AR is achieved?
- What are the essential device hardware features required to support AR?
- Which industry giants are best positioned to dominate AR?
- How many AR-enabled handsets will there be by 2015?
- What are the five web services necessary for a complete AR solution?
- How is revenue from AR apps forecast to grow?
- What incentives do carriers have for embracing AR?
- Where is venture capital funding flowing into AR?
- How will revenue from Advanced AR apps compare to revenue from Basic apps?