The influx of innovative and advanced features on smartphones and tablets, such as high resolution graphics capabilities, has created a common perception that Portable Gaming Consoles will vanish in the near future. However, ARCchart sees a healthy PGC market continuing to exist and expects that the overall market – including both game titles and console sales – will be worth $24 billion by 2016.
This report provides a global assessment of the PGC market. In addition to assessing the key market drivers, market barriers, vendor strategies and future prospects for the industry, the report provides detailed forecasts for the PGC market from 2012 through to 2016 at a global and regional level, with comparisons made to the wider TV gaming console and emerging mobile device (smartphones and tablets) gaming markets. Historical and vendor market share figures are also provided for 2011.
Topics of coverage include:
- History of the portable console market
- Console overview: DS, 3DS, PSP and Vita
- Cross-platform strategies
- Cloud gaming
- Wireless connectivity evolution
- Vendor profiles
- Factors driving the market
- 8th generation console outlook
- Barriers to growth
- Market sizing and forecast
Companies and organisations mentioned, discussed or reviewed include:
Answers and opinions are provided with respect to the following
- How will gaming on smartphones and tablets impact the PGC market?
- Which region represents the largest PGC market opportunity?
- Why is the games title ASP expected to drop by more than 30% by 2016?
- What are the prospects for Microsoft’s Xbox SmartGlass?
- What proportion of PGCs will have integrated cellular connectivity?
- How will PGC shipments compare to TV gaming consoles?
- Which region will experience the fastest growth in PGC shipments?
- How large is the mobile device games title market?
- Which platform (mobile, TV console or PGC) will generate the most revenue from title sales?